- Department Overview
- 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Academic Programs
- Student Opportunities
- Faculty & Staff
Strategic Plan 2014-2020
The mission of the Engineering Management and Systems Engineering Department is to equip individuals with engineering, management and systems expertise to prepare them to be leaders in the identification and solution of technical and organizational problems that are complex and evolving
The department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering at Missouri S&T will be recognized nationally for its excellence and innovation in the areas of on-campus and distance engineering management and systems engineering education, research, scholarship and professional service.
Strategy Statement and Themes
By 2020, the department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering will work to move into the top 35 of all Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering departments through its diverse expertise, unique holistic perspective, and global access to stakeholders.
The Engineering Management and Systems Engineering department will achieve this goal by focusing on the following strategic themes:
- Increase research productivity and core research competencies, and in the process create new opportunities for students to pursue undergraduate and graduate research, thereby increasing the department’s research reputation and the ability for our graduates to train the next generation of engineering managers and systems engineers.
- Continue to be a leader in the area of distance and online education by making department education and research programs accessible to all students, whether located on or off-campus, using the most advanced technology and teaching methodologies.
- Offer undergraduate and graduate education that fosters holistic thinking through the integration and application of discipline-specific engineering, management and systems knowledge and skills necessary to meet the real-world technical challenges of the 21st century.
- Develop partnerships with industry, government and academia in order to provide increased visibility of our academic programs and research, while also providing innovative and entrepreneurial responses to the current technological problems facing society.
The faculty, staff and students of the department of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering at Missouri S&T hold the following values:
Lifelong success - We add exceptional value. The rewards of the Missouri S&T experience extend far beyond a college education, valued degree or gratifying career. The S&T experience prepares you for a fulfilling life defined by the confidence to succeed, a desire to excel and a love of learning that never stops.
Creativity - We are innovators. Building a better world demands a creative spark, innovative and entrepreneurial approaches, and curiosity to discover and explore new solutions to the world’s great challenges.
Integrity - We hold ourselves accountable for our actions. We strive to uphold the highest ethical standards, to conduct ourselves with trustworthiness and respect for all of humanity, and to instill in our campus community these same principles.
Sustainability - We live by example. As stewards of the public goodwill, the financial resources entrusted to us, and the environment, we emphasize resilient and sustainable practices in all our endeavors.
Partnerships - We are great partners. We focus on adding value and creating mutually beneficial partnerships. The solutions to today’s great challenges require agile collaboration, teamwork and engagement with our stakeholders, both on campus and in the greater business, civic, national and international communities.
Inclusion - We are an inclusive, welcoming community. We seek to build a creative learning environment marked by openness, understanding and valuing all people and perspectives.
Collegiality - We are good colleagues. We welcome different scholarly perspectives and points of view, while also engaging in constructive and civil dialogue with those whom we may disagree.